Lung Cancer Treatment
Datasource: Lung Cancer Treatment Center of Excellence
At Memorial Cancer Institute, innovations in lung cancer treatment and diagnosis set our program apart from others. These include:
- Access to the latest advancements in care through clinical trials
- Innovative techniques for lung cancer diagnosis that increase accuracy and decrease necessity of surgery, like endobronchial ultrasound (EBUS)
- A Patient Navigator to guide you through lung cancer treatment
- Weekly tumor boards just for lung cancer, where all the patients are discussed confidentially by the team
- Multidisciplinary clinic that lets you meet with all your doctors from the lung cancer team on the same day and in the same office so that all your questions are answered and so you can start your treatment as soon as possible
- Technologies like CyberKnife®, combined with the expertise of your lung cancer treatment team, make it possible today to treat many complex lung cancers
While specialists at community oncology centers around the nation may focus on more than one illness, Memorial Cancer Institute dedicates a large team specifically to treating lung cancer.
Lung Cancer Symptoms
In the early stages of lung cancer, most people don’t have any signs or symptoms. Once the disease advances, the symptoms of lung cancer may include:
- Cough that doesn’t go away
- Coughing up blood
- Loss of appetite
- Pain in chest, back or shoulders when coughing/deep breathing
- Shortness of breath
- Recurring lung infections (e.g., pneumonia, bronchitis)
- Swollen lymph nodes in the chest area
- Unexplained weight loss
- Wheezing or hoarseness
While these symptoms may be signs of lung cancer, it is important to discuss them with your doctor because they may be related to other health problems.
Schedule a Screening
When caught early, lung cancer is highly treatable. A simple CT scan or minimally invasive Monarch™ bronchoscopy may help save your life.
Advanced Lung Cancer Diagnosis and Lung Cancer Staging
Our thoracic surgery team performs minimally invasive, technologically advanced lung cancer diagnosis and lung cancer staging procedures that reduce the need for surgery. These include:
Datasource: Monarch bronchoscopy
- Endobronchial ultrasound (EBUS)
- Esophageal endoscopic ultrasound (EUS)
- Navigational bronchoscopy
- Robotic-assisted Monarch™ bronchoscopy
These technologies allow your doctor to more accurately diagnose and stage tumors, even if they’re very small.
Our Multidisciplinary Team
- Lung cancer patient navigator
- Medical oncologists
- Medical physicists
- Radiation oncologists
- Thoracic surgeons
Patient navigators offer personalized, compassionate guidance from diagnosis and treatment to survivorship.
We take care of the whole person, including appearance, self-esteem and emotional well-being.
Make informed healthcare decisions with transparent, unaltered, unedited data about quality and safety..