Zachary Lum, DO
I am an orthopedic surgeon at the Joint Replacement Program at Memorial Healthcare System. I care for patients with a wide variety of musculoskeletal concerns, injuries, and traumas. To treat these injuries and disorders, I perform hip replacement surgery, partial and total knee replacements (including computer navigated knee replacements), hip resurfacing, knee and shoulder arthroscopy, ligament and tendon repair, rotator cuff repairs, and total shoulder replacements. I also specialize in hip and knee revision reconstruction.
Before becoming a physician, I wanted to become a car mechanic because I enjoy working with my hands and helping people. Overtime, I found myself drawn to medicine because of the impact that is possible when helping someone overcome an illness or injury. Orthopedics is a natural fit for me because I get to guide patients through their treatment and recovery and enjoy the mechanics of procedures such as a joint replacement.
I believe in evidence-based medicine and empowering patients to lead decision making regarding their care. I provide patients with information and understanding about their condition and a range of options to help guide their management of the musculoskeletal problem. It’s an honor and joy to restore someone’s ability to function and/or reduce their pain and discomfort. The appreciation and gratitude given by patients is rewarding and keeps me energized every day.
Related Medical Services
- Touro University Nevada, 2012
- Henry Ford Health System, 2013, Orthopedic Surgery
- Valley Consortium for Medical Education, 2017, Orthopedic Surgery
- UC Davis Medical Center, 2018, Orthopedic Surgery
- WOA Young Investigator Award.
Female Gender and Longer Spinal Fusions Significantly Increase Risk of Subsequent Total Hip Arthroplasty. Western Orthopaedic Association Meeting 2019. Monterey, CA.
- Osteopathic Distinction Award for Research. Intravenous Tranexamic Acid versus Topical Aminocaproic Acid: Which Method has the Least Blood Loss and Transfusion Rates? AOAO Meeting 2018. Atlanta, GA.
- American Association of Hip & Knee Surgeons
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Osteopathic Academy of Orthopaedics
- Western Orthopaedic Association
My clinical research interests include spinopelvic motion in total hip arthroplasty biomechanics, venothromboembolism in total joint arthroplasty, periprosthetic joint infection, and kinematic total knee arthroplasty.
- Peddada K, Welcome BM, Parker MC, Delman C, Holland CT, Giordani M, Meehan JP, Lum ZC. Aseptic Loosening in Single Stage Revision Arthroplasty for Periprosthetic Joint Infection. Orthopaedic Summit Meeting December 2021. Las Vegas, NV.
- Lum ZC. Total Hip Instability and the Spinopelvic Link. AOAO Meeting. April 2021. Salt Lake City, UT.
- Lum ZC, Saiz AM, Pereira GC, Meehan JP. Patella Baja in Total Knee Arthroplasty. JAAOS Plus Webinar Series. September 16, 2020.
- Lum ZC. Novel and Routine Nonsurgical Treatment for Knee Osteoarthritis. Midtown Speaker Series. November 2019. Sacramento, CA.
- Lum ZC. Single Stage Revision for Periprosthetic Joint Infection. AOAO Meeting. October 2019. Colorado Springs, CO.
- Lum ZC. Relationship Between the Hip and the Spine. Japanese Orthopaedic Association Travelling Fellows Conference July 2019. Sacramento, CA.
- Lum ZC, Khan AA, Pereira GC, Giordani M, Meehan JP. No Difference in Outcomes for Mechanically Aligned Measured Resection, Gap Balancing nor Kinematic Alignment in Primary Total Knee Arthroplasty. Western Orthopaedic Association August 2019. Monterey, CA.
- Kim EG, Lum ZC, Shelton TJ, Meehan JP. Complications of Total Joint Arthroplasty in Liver Disease Patients. Western Orthopaedic Association August 2019. Monterey, CA.
- Lum ZC, Klineberg EO, Danielsen B, Giordani M, Meehan JP. Female Gender and Longer Spinal Fusions Significantly Increase Risk of Subsequent Total Hip Arthroplasty. Western Orthopaedic Association August 2019. Monterey, CA.
- Lum ZC, Natsuhara KM, Shelton TJ, Meehan JP. Mortality During Total Hip Periprosthetic Joint Infection: A Meta-Analysis. AAOS Meeting March 2019. Las Vegas, NV.